Things to do in Phnom Penh Cambodia
Discover things to do in Phnom Penh. Travel guide to Phnom Penh Cambodia. with attractions, restaurants, map and photos.
Things to do in Phnom Penh
- Wat Phnom. Fun because of the wild monkeys living and playing on the hill around the Wat.
- In the evening, walk along the malecon (Mekong River). Families stroll and picnic, young people play hackey-sack and groups dance and do exercise. It’s lively and fun and felt very safe.
- Royal Palace. Beautiful Khmer architecture in white (country) and gold (religion). Surprisingly, it survived the Pol Pot Regime as the Khmer Rouge used it for visiting comrades. It has hundreds of Buddha figures of various sizes. The King still resides here. This is where you see the Silver Pagoda where the floor is covered in silver.
- Central Market. Excellent deals and part of the market is inside an architecturally interesting building. It’s a clean, well organized market. You could go to the Russian Market instead, but it’s much hotter as the roof is low. If I only had time for one, I’d choose the Central Market.
- The Killing Fields (Choeung Ek) & Tuol Sleng Prison. Depressing but enlightening glimpse into Cambodia’s troubled past.
- National Museum — nice building to see from outside and the grounds are pretty. There are broken statues from Angor Wat. If you’ll be seeing Angor Wat, and you’re tight on time, there’s no need to see inside this museum.
Places to Eat in Phnom Penh Cambodia
- Friends Restaurant. This cute restaurant is a training restaurant for former street youth. We tried several different dishes and all were excellent and reasonably priced (hummus on chips, tacos, chicken with mango & cashew and pork fried rice). It’s near the National Museum & Wat Oulong, on a side street (the tuk tuk drivers knew how to find it). Here’s a map.
- Foreign Correspondence Club. The pizza and quesadillas were good, and the view is excellent — up and down the waterfront, overlooking the Mekong — go to the top floor. 363 Sisowath Quay http://www.fcccambodia.com/phnom_penh/restaurant_bar.php