Top 10 New Orleans
What to see and do in New Orleans? Here’s my Top 10 attractions New Orleans.
Mardi Gras is kind of a given, right? Two week party, parades, beads, music. But, if you can’t find a room or the time isn’t right, there’s plenty to see and do when it’s not Mardi Gras.
1. Wander the French Quarter and enjoy ornate wrought-iron flower-covered balconies, restaurants and live music. Stroll through Jackson square on the water. Photo op by the statute of Andrew Jackson on horseback with St. Louis Cathedral in the background. The French Market has fresh produce and souvenirs. Visit the antique shops on Royal Street.
2. Listen to live vintage Jazz at Preservation Hall. It’s standing room only — literally — there are no seats. But it’s worth the couple bucks for the experience.
3. Walk the Garden District to see the large Victorian houses with picturesque gardens. The streets are lined with oak, magnolia and palm trees. It’s the quiet, more refined side of New Orleans
4. Try a muffaletta at the Central Grocery. Muffaletta are giant sandwiches stuffed with meat and cheese.
5. Sip cafe au lait and eat beignets at Cafe du Monde. You’ll end up covered in the powered sugar that tops these warm French pastries.
6. Take a street car ride on the historic Charles line — where else can you ride a National Historic Landmark? You can board the street car on Canal Street and ride it to the Garden district. The cost is only $1 each way.
7. Cemetary tour. The ornate tombs are above ground and haunting, even in the day.
8. Bourbon Street after dark, where it’s Mari Gras all year and happy hour = 3 for 1. You’ll either love or hate the drunken debauchery. But if you like live music, it’s great fun with everything from zydeco to rock.
9. Take a paddlewheel steamboat tour up the Mississippi and enjoy the New Orleans skyline from the water.
10. Catch a show at the House of Blues. It’s located at 225 Decatur Street in the French Quarter. The Sunday morning Gospel Brunch was a heavenly mix of good food and good music.
If you’d like to get outside the city, explore old-world Louisiana on a plantation tour or encounter wildlife in a swamp and bayou tour.
My Top 10 New Orleans attractions: Food, drink and music peppered with a little sightseeing.
Click if you love New Orleans
Top 10 Attractions New Orleans Travel Video
Top 10 Attractions New Orleans Travel Map
View larger map